Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bravery or stupidity/the skill of the rewrite

It was all going so well. I hadn't managed to complete the Nanowrimo challenge of writing a 50,000-word novel in a month but I'd almost made my own personal target [25K words by the time I break up for Christmas]. Then, I had one of those eureka moments. Unfortunately, the eureka moment meant that while I could see how to get my novel to reach a comfortable 60,000-words it also meant that I had to restart almost from scratch binning the 20,000-words I'd written so far.
Actually, that's not strictly true. I've merely saved it as a draft version in a separate file. It does fit into the overall scheme of things but I realised that in my desire to write the 'killer introduction' I'd always dreamed of I'd actually missed out a crucial part of the plot.
I find this one of the toughest challenges with creative writing. As a journalist in my 'day job' I have to write short succinct phrases and squeeze words into the space provided. However, this isn't always the case with creative writing. I wonder how does one tell the difference between a valid description and waffle?
If you want to compare the new extract with the old, click here http://www.savefile.com/files/353328. I'd appreciate comments on how the two compare.

1 comment:

k said...

I'm sure your decision was the right one but... eek! That's a lot of words :)

Good luck with the rewrite; hope you can use some of the stuff you've written so far.

I'm having trouble myself as to how much of my story is actually waffle so I can't answer your last question!