Friday, January 12, 2007

A fontastic breakthrough

It might sound crazy but one of the things I find hardest about writing is choosing a font and paragraph style that I am comfortable with. I find that it really affects my mood and can affect the mood of what I'm writing, too. I like to define different writing styles ( a different narrator, say) by using a different font. It's an aid memoir to me to know what tense and tone I need to use, and hopefully helps the reader, too.
Until this morning I was typing directly into my chosen template for Lulu (http://www.lulu.com) but was becoming so obsessed with how a finished 'book' would look on the page that it was interrupting my flow.
I've reverted to typing into a normal A4 format, in basic Times Roman (12pt) with a 12pt space between each line and I find I can spot errors more easily. It's easier to write, too.
What's your preferred document style for writing your drafts?

No comments: